Friday, March 21, 2014

Chance Encounter



The trio of little blues waded in the morning fog,
their bodies  a stark contrast to the dark of the mud flats.
All around, heavy mist rose in wavering bands
that filtered through the red fingers of the sumac. What chance
that I’d be here at this precise moment. That I’d coast
on my bike toward the head of the tide, round the curve
and hear the still-rushing water of the stream
bordered now by purple asters. That I’d catch
 a glimpse of their elegant bodies, so still as I approached,
then graceful in movement as they combed the tidal pools.
I stood in silence. A runner passed. My camera caught
the mirror of herons against rippling water.
Something to take with me.
To prove my good fortune.
Reluctantly, I hoisted a leg over my bike
and pedaled homeward.






2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

This reminds me of Mary Oliver! Love!

10:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks! That's quite a compliment!

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home