Friday, March 21, 2014

On Patten Pond



It’s an overcast, lazy kind of kayaking day,
and as I float past boulders                                                   
and watch the water of Patten Pond
eddy around me, my mind drifts
to last night and the photos in your album,
all taken when I was not even a distant blip
on your horizon. In one, you crouch,
your youngest daughter asleep
in your backpack, your body taut
beneath a t-shirt, a shy smile on your face.
In another, all three daughters
in nighties before a Christmas tree,
a mixture of awkwardness and eagerness
on their young faces.

I flip though your album searching
each photograph for clues
to the family you had before mine.
The mother who cradled you,
the brother, beside you, his chubby hand
dipped into the box of Cheerios you hold,
the daughters, now mothers who carry
the imprint of your fathering,
the infant son you held for minutes
then spent years imagining                                                                               
in someone else’s home—

So much life going on day after day
in another state, another town, another house
as I bore children, careened
through the disintegration of a marriage,
bumped along through therapy
and false starts of relationships,
then a roller coaster wait
for you to lose fear, find hope,
and finally join me
in a path now littered with
your brother/my siblings,
your parents/my parents,
your children/my children.

Who’d have thought pronouns could wound so deeply?

From my kayak I peer into the tangle of water lily stems
and try to decipher where a single Nymphae odorata begins
and another ends. It’s hopeless, so I push off, drift past
turtles adoze on logs beneath a sky that matches
the feathers of the Great Blue, past
loon parents feeding grasses to an offspring, past
beaches littered with the remains of family outings.

I sit, oar resting across my kayak, and imagine
all of this activity extending in a blaze of unity
day after day. No sign of before and after or his and hers.

After a final glance from shore to shore
I dip my oar into the black waters
of Patten Pond and head for home.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home