Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday Afternoon at the Rockland Breakwater

We march, matching strides, along Rockland's Breakwater,
with January thaw breezes and a warming sun out of place
in the last days before winter's solstice.
We step around tidal pools afloat with ice,
past urchins smashed by careless boots
past sea ducks that strike glittering poses
in smart black and white tuxedos
among the dowdy gulls.

Our bodies take pleasure in the act of striding
in the almost-warm sand releasing sea glass
in the slap of boots upon granite
in the caress of an out-of-season sun
in the lapping of the waves
in the explosion of spray on seashore boulders
in the taste of salt in the December air.

Our minds walk separately,
cueing into the possibility of discord
bearing up under an erratic pulse
giving in to the loss of harmony
believing imagination's folly.

At breakwater's end, we sit on a bench,
align our physical bodies with the swath of yellow
sun that beats upon the water. This warmth cuts through
the questioning, the worrying, the foolish presumptions--

I rest my head upon your shoulder
uncertain why it feels suddenly fine to do so
but grateful for its welcoming warmth.

5 Comments:

Blogger gfh said...

Hmmm...questions pass through my mind on this one

6:11 PM  
Blogger Excalibur said...

I really enjoyed reading this Judy. This is the first time I've visited your blog. It's probably the first time we've had any interaction since I was last in Maine. I hope Ollie is well!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Well, hello there!

Welcome to my blog. As you can see, I'm into poetry now. It comes pouring out of me at times, which is good. Just beginning to learn the craft of it. It's great to be writing again.

Ollie is fine. He misses those doggie massages you do so well...

Peace.
Judy

11:19 PM  
Blogger Excalibur said...

Elizabeth told me I should read your blog. I'll definitely check in. Especially because I'm impressed with what I've read so far.

Happy Holidays,

Jam

10:47 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Thanks, Jam. Same to you...

J.

5:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home