Friday, May 02, 2008

One Thought Each Day... Until May 24th...

I've decided to embark upon a pre-wedding project for my fiancé. It's entitled "One Thought Each Day... Until May 24th." (May 24th being our wedding day!) Each day, I will post thoughts from me for this man from my favorite poets and writers. Some might be from my own original writing, others, like the one to start this off, pieces of writing from poets or writers I adore. All seek to capture what it is I am feeling as we move closer to our wedding day...



May 2, 2008: From Rainer Maria Rilke...

For one human being to love another human being: that is perhaps the most difficult task that has been entrusted to us, the ultimate task, the final test and proof, the work for which all other work is merely preparation. Loving does not at first mean merging, surrendering, and uniting with another person--it is a high inducement for the individual to ripen, to become something in himself, to become world, to become world in himself for the sake of another person; it is a great, demanding claim on him, something that chooses him and calls him to vast distances....


Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest people infinite distances exist, a marvelous living side-by-side can grow up for them, if they succeed in loving the expanse between them, which gives them the possibility of always seeing each other as a whole and before an immense sky.

(I love you, Honey, with all my heart.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home