Friday, April 27, 2007

The Dog Who Loved With All His Heart

On the night before my Boxer died,
he lay quietly by the wood stove,
basking in its warmth, taking comfort,
I hope, from its soothing heat.
Suddenly, as if infused with strength
or some clear vision,
he raised his head,
held it perfectly erect,
and stared into my eyes
steadfastly and with dignity
for one long moment.

What was he thinking?
Did he know then,
what his tomorrow would bring?
Could he see the time was coming
when those same brown eyes
that kept my gaze that night,
that once danced in joy,
that once sparked with energy,
would become vacant chocolate pools?

It was in those eyes that death's moment became clear--
the body, still warm, the chest not rising, the spirit stilled.

For this Boxer, at least, death came without warning.
Overnight, almost, it came. Too quickly. Too profoundly.
And now we're left too sadly.

Life ends in silence, if you are a Boxer
whose body has turned on you.
Not with wracking sobs--
Not with whimpers of grief--
Not with moaning or crying--
but with big brown eyes full of pain,
Soft brown ears lying flat and lifeless
against a tired head. Short, docked tail
listless over hips stiff with arthritis.

How does cancer steal into the vibrant body
of a pleasure seeker? A smell sniffer? A sound listener?
A squirrel chaser? A bone chewer? A ride taker?
On what insidious avenue does it start its journey?

Oh puppy. I will miss those shining eyes,
those clacking nails on asphalt, your amazing love.
My heart rises in grief.
Gone now, the bouncing Boxer--
the lima-bean-welcome-home dancer--
the dog who loved with all his heart.

If I could bring you back, we'd take more walks,
and I'd talk to you more often on them.
I'd throw more sticks, let you sit in my lap
and sleep on my bed, feed you scraps
of the things you loved.

Instead, I'll take your ashes to our beloved beach--
stand with the people who filled your heart with love--
and as I close my eyes I'll hear the sound of the waves
and picture you chasing the gulls, braving frigid waters,
racing toward me, ears flapping in the sea breeze,
before I'll dip my fingers into the dust of you,
hold my hand high above my head, and let you drift
and settle with the mussels and sea glass
--one last time.



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And don't forget the cheese and crackers and shrimp and chocolate chip cookies he always tried to steal off the coffee table - (personally, I think he actually stole a few when we weren't looking! Peace, Jude -

7:31 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

Hey--

Is that you Ms. B?

He was an adept little thief, wasn't he?

J.

10:06 PM  
Blogger gfh said...

I think he liked my chocolate chip cookies the best:)! I miss him already...
:)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Excalibur said...

He left such an impression on me, the one-time dog hater, that eased my anxiety, and just made me happy to be cherished by him and to gladly return the favor.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

He loved your doggy massages, J--

XO

10:05 AM  
Blogger Al said...

I keep reading this post, but have failed to comment before now. Growing up a dogless girl, Ollie is the only dog I ever loved. I'll never forget meeting him for the first time and befriending him with a piece of bologna in hand. Now of course he's running on the big beach in the sky, with Beatrice and Ben the parakeets riding on his back I am sure ;) Even so he'll be missed...

9:04 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

That was a pretty funny moment. Thanks for the comment. I'm slowly getting used to life without him. You don't know how big a role an animal plays in your life until he/she is gone.

Judy

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home